Funding & Grants

Whilst the University wants societies to be as self-sustainable as possible, there is the opportunity for societies to apply for a grant. Cambridge SU's Activities Manager is here to give advice and help with your society's application, so read on to find out if you could qualify!


What are the grants for?

Grants may be given for the following reasons:

  • Launching Grants: small grants normally of around £100 or less to cover the start-up costs of a new society.
  • Capital Equipment Purchases: for purchasing equipment which will be of lasting and continuing benefit.
  • Special Activities: for events outside the normal activities of the society that are not feasibly self financing.
  • Guarantees Against Loss: often given on events (e.g. theatrical productions), or for the issue of a publication. These requests need to be submitted well in advance.
  • Annual Grants: awarded to fund a society's activities during the year, and are given on the merit of the application.
  • Annual Travel Grants: awarded to provide assistance with society's exceptional expenditure on travel.


Grants will not be given for:

  • Funding social activities.
  • A loan that may prove an unjustifiable financial burden on future officers of the society.
  • One-off competition entry fees.


For more detailed information, take a look at the University's page on Grants from the Societies Syndicate.


Who qualifies?

To qualify for funding your society must meet the following criteria:

  • Be open to all members of the university regardless of political, religious or social considerations
  • Be registered, or in the process of registering, with the Junior Proctor


How do I apply?

1. Choose the relevant application form:

Grant Application Form: PDF or Word Document

Guarantee Against Loss Application Form: PDF or Word Document

2. Submit your form (electronically), 10 days before the next scheduled meeting. Applications must be typed and sent by email to the Senior Treasurer for approval before onward transmission by email, direct from the Senior Treasurer, to the Secretary of the Societies Syndicate:

See the Societies Syndicate Grants page of the University website for meeting schedules.


Tips when Applying:

  • Clarity and detail are key.
  • Explain why you need what the grant will be spent on - why it is important for the society and its members.
  • Present a clear and well justified statement, include multiple quotes of costs and explanations for why the ultimate offer was selected.
  • If the money is for a piece of equipment, explain how long it will last and how it will be stored safely.
  • If your society is sport-related then clarify that you are either not registered with the Sports Syndicate, or if you are then why you are applying to the Societies Syndicate.
  • If there is any room for confusion, make it clear that this is not something which you will be repeatedly applying for - if it is then apply for an annual grant.