Submitting your nomination
To stand in a Cambridge SU election you must provide the following. These are submitted via the web nominations form:
- Your name/crsid
- A preferred name - this is what will appear on the ballot and in all public communications about the election. It can be any name you go by and does not have to be your legal name or the name you are registered with the University under, but it cannot be a joke name, slogan etc.
- Email/telephone number - this is so the Returning Officer and staff can contact you during the election period, and will not be used for any other reason. We would only use the telephone number very rarely if something was urgent.
- A manifesto - you must upload a manifesto via the form on the website.This can be a maximum of 500 words and all the substantive content must be typed text, although you can also include images. This will be linked below your name at the point of voting. You can also optionally upload a designed manifesto which must have the same text as your typed manifesto by including it as an image alongside the text manifesto in the box on the form.
You can also optionally submit:
- A slogan. This will be uploaded to the website when you nominate yourself and must be less than 15 words. The slogan will appear on the candidate list and by your name on the ballot, as well as on elections promotional material.
- A photo of you to appear on the ballot. This will not be used for any other purpose outside of The Election period. This should ideally be a head or head and shoulders picture and must be in JPEG or PNG format.
running as a pair
In some elections you can run as a pair for a single position. The role description for the role for which you are nominating yourself should indicate whether pairs are permitted. Please note that in some elections there may be more than one of the same role up for election - this is not the same thing as running as a pair.
You can run as a pair for positions on the SU Campaigns. You may not run as a pair to be an NUS Delegate, Academic Rep or Sabbatical Officer.
To run as a pair:
- Ensure that both of the pair are eligible to run for the position
- One of the pair should log in and submit a nomination.
- In the "Preferred Name" box write the names of both people running
- Submit a photo of the two people running together for the image
For some roles you need to be part of a certain group to stand.
- Self identification - some roles are reserved for certain groups of students. You can only run for roles leading or on the committee of SU Campaigns if you are a part of the membership of that campaign as defined in its constitution. At the point of standing you will be asked to opt in to groups you identify with, and will only be able to stand if you meet the requirements for a role.
- Undergraduate/postgraduate - some roles are restricted to undergraduate or postgraduate students and the system will not let you run if you fall into the wrong group. This is based on the University's data about you and your course; please get in touch if you think there is an error.
- Academic reps - you can only stand for the roles representing students on your course. We assign students to courses using data given to us by the University - if you think your course is wrong, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.