The Shadowing Scheme is the UK’s largest free student-led access initiative, which runs Thursday-Saturday residential* over three weeks for Year 12 (or equivalent) and mature students studying at a state school in the UK. Shadows almost entirely come from WP (Widening Participation) backgrounds, including:
- First-generation students (People whose parents never attended higher education)
- Looked after and Estranged children
- Young carers
- Free school meals/Pupil Premium recipients
- Students from schools where ‘top university’ entry is not the norm
- & Those identified as particularly underrepresented
Students shadow (accompany) a current student during their day to day activities, and this creates an opportunity for them to get a valuable and immersive insight into Cambridge student life. Throughout the scheme, students have access to a secure online platform, where they can continue to talk to their mentors once the scheme ends.
Being a mentor is a fantastic experience. You can meet new people, share your passion for your subject, and help make a real difference to a disadvantaged prospective student.
You can get in touch with your Undergraduate Access, Education & Participation Officer if you have any questions.