In our General Information Guide for Students, we aim to list and provide links to rules and regulations, key documents, policies and procedures you should be aware exist during your time as a student at Cambridge University. It is not an exhaustive list so please also refer to Cambridge Students for more information or get in touch with the Student Advice Service if you have any questions.

Other resources and links you may find helpful to be aware of during your time as a student at Cambridge include:

Further information and resources on specific academic areas can be found below.



Exams may appear a terrifying prospect, but remember, they are designed for you to demonstrate what you have learned throughout the year, not to catch you out.


If you are a student who experienced issues with the conduct of the examination or had mitigating circumstances such as illness or grave cause, our Flowchart for Processes on Examination-Related Issues could help you identify what processes might be available to you. Through these processes, you can let the University know what issues you experienced and the impact they had on your studies and/or on your examination results. 

Below, you can access further information on these processes from our Information Guide on the Examination Review Procedure and video, and in our section on Examination Allowances for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students.

If you have any questions or wish to discuss your situation with an Advisor, you can contact us here.


Guide to Getting Through Exams

Our Guide to getting through Exams has guidance and information on any concerns you may have about your exams and tips on how to De-stress before the test. The University also has guidance for managing exam stress on the Student Wellbeing page.


Examination Review

For issues relating to the conduct of the examination, undergraduate & postgraduate students can find more information in our Information Guide on the Examination Review Procedure. We have also produced an information video on the Examination Review Procedure, including details on the different grounds of the procedure and examples of evidence that could be provided to support your application. This information video can be found here.


Examination allowances for undergraduate and postgraduate students

For mitigating circumstances, undergraduate and certain postgraduate students can find more exam-related information on the Exam Access and Mitigation Committee's webpage. The Exam Access and Mitigation Committee (EAMC) considers applications for examination allowances for all undergraduate courses and the following postgraduate courses: EMBA, LLM, MASt, MBA, MCL, MEng, MFin, MMath, MMus, MSci and PGCE, MPhil by Advanced Study, MRes, MEd and MSt degrees and the Certificate of Postgraduate Study (CPGS) and Postgraduate Diplomas in Economics, Legal Studies and International Law.

If you are a student registered for one of the following degrees: B.D, M.D, Vet.M.D, Ph.D., Bus.D, Eng.D, M.Sc, M.Litt, M.Phil. Degree by dissertation or Certificate of Postgraduate Study, you can request an Examination Review to let the University know that you experienced mitigating circumstances which impacted upon the examination. You can access information on the process and how to present your case in our Information Guide on the Examination Review Procedure.

Students who do not find their course on this list should contact their College Tutor for information on examination allowances. You can also contact our Service to discuss your situation and our Advisors will help you identify the correct process.


Examination Complaints

For complaints relating to academic provision (course content; resources; facilities; or information provided about the course) and/or the standards of service from the University, including postgraduate supervision and University tuition which you feel may have impacted on your studies you can make a complaint through the Student Complaint Procedure. You should raise your complaint as soon as it occurs or at least within 28 days of the matter arising. 

If you have been impacted by Covid-19 and wish to submit a complaint you can access details of the procedure here. The deadline to raise a complaint was 19 July 2021. If for good reason you missed the deadline, you might still be able to submit your complaint explaining the reason for lateness and proving supporting evidence. The University will consider your reason for lateness and the evidence and will either let you know that the complaint will be considered or that the complaint is out of time. 

We recommend that you seek support and advice before submitting your complaint and this could be from a College/Graduate Tutor or the Student Advice Service.  The Student Advice Service can guide you through the complaint process, including helping you present your complaint as comprehensively as possible. 



Your studies may be affected by a physical or mental health condition, bereavement or other serious issues. In these circumstances, you can apply for intermission. Intermission or ‘disregarding terms’ in University language, is a process which allows students to take time off from their studies to allow them to get better and return to their course of study when they are able to do so, You will need to make a separate application to resume study. You are advised to contact your Tutor to discuss your situation and the implications of intermitting, as they will need to submit the application on your behalf. The Student Advice Service can also support students through the process and help you prepare a personal statement, if you wish to submit one with the application.    

The Cambridge SU Disabled Students’ Campaign has created a Guide to Undergraduate Intermission. This guide is based on information sharing from a student perspective. You may also wish to read the following information from the University on the intermission process:

  • The Exam Access and Mitigation Committee (EAMC)has issued Guidance Notes for Disregarding Terms for Undergraduate students and certain Postgraduate students. These notes can be read in conjunction with the relevant University Ordinances which can be found in Chapter III, Examinations in the Statutes and Ordinances.  
  • Guidance notes on the intermission procedure for Postgraduate students is available on the Cambridge Students pages. 



During your time as a student, you may be unhappy with the experience you have received from the University, department, faculty, service, staff member or within your College. If so, you may wish to raise this experience with the University or your College. In order to do this, the University and your College have complaints procedures that students can follow and use to raise their concerns.

College complaints

If the issue relates to a provision provided by your College, a College service or staff member you will need to follow your College’s complaints procedure. You should be able to obtain a copy of the procedure from the tutorial office or in your student handbook.

University complaints

If the issue relates to a provision provided by the University, you can submit a complaint to the University’s Office for Student Conduct, Complaints and Appeals (OSSCA) via the Student Complaints Procedure. There is a strict 28-day deadline for raising complaints.

The University has also established an anonymous/confidential prevention reporting process for postgraduate students. More information on this can be found here:

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Complaints

If you have been impacted by Covid 19, details of procedures and deadlines for raising complaints relating to COVID-19 and the impact either on your learning experience or assessment results will be released shortly by the University.

Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA)

Whether you have used the University or your College’s procedure, if you are unhappy with the final outcome of your complaint or appeal you may be able to ask the OIA to review your complaint. The OIA provides an independent scheme to review student complaints within higher education. If you wish to ask the OIA to review your complaint you will need to do this within 1 year of receiving your Completion of Procedures (CoP) letter.  The OIA website also provides useful resources and information for students and higher education providers on raising and handling complaints and appeals.


Student discipline

When studying at Cambridge students are required to behave in accordance with the University and their Colleges regulations and rules. If it appears a student has not behaved in accordance with the regulations and rules their behaviour could be investigated by using either their College or the University’s Student Discipline Procedure. Where it is concluded there has been a breach of the regulations and rules penalties or sanctions may be imposed.

College Student Discipline Procedure

Each College will have its own Student Discipline procedure or may refer cases to the University procedure. You may be able to find out more information about the procedure within your Student Handbook or by asking the tutorial office.

University Student Discipline Procedure

The University’s Student Discipline Procedure is overseen by the Office for Student Conduct, Complaints and Appeals (OSSCA). More information about this procedure can be found on their website here:


Changing college

We have received news that the College Transfer Procedure is suspended until the beginning of the academic year 2021-22 (this update is from June 2021)

There can be instances when a student may feel they need to transfer to another college. A transfer of college mid-course is very rare however in exceptional circumstances, and if a student’s grounds meet the requirements, this may be possible. When a student and their Senior Tutor agree the student has the grounds to change college and this would be the best course of action, the Senior Tutor can try and facilitate a college transfer by communicating with Senior Tutors in other colleges. This is what is called the informal process.

When the situation is complex or there has been a breakdown in the relationship between a student and their College, a student may prefer to pursue a more formal route via the intercollegiate College Transfer Procedure.

The Student Advice Service can support students through both the informal and formal processes. We can also support students who don’t have the grounds to change college by helping them explore how they can improve their experience within their current college.