Your wellbeing is key to allowing you make the most of your time at Cambridge personally and academically. Whether your wellbeing is impacted by a disability, physical or mental health issues, concerns or problems that are personal or related to your study, or by the loss of a loved one or a break up of a relationship, there is a range of support available to you within your College, the University, the city of Cambridge and beyond. The University’s Student Wellbeing page is a resourceful place where students can access such support.



If you are experiencing mental health issues or feeling troubled or confused, there are various sources of support that exist to help you. Within the University and your College, these include your College nurse, the University Counselling Service, and the Disability Resource Centre. Your Tutor and the Student Advice Service can help you consider the impact these difficulties are having on your time at Cambridge and what options may exist going forward. Those who have experienced harassment and/or sexual assault may also wish to consult the University’s Sexual Assault and Harassment Advisor.

More broadly, your GP can offer crucial advice and support, and there are numerous listening services, groups, and self-help resources that exist in Cambridge and beyond. For students who are experiencing a mental health crisis and need access to a mental health team, they can contact the First Response Service by dialling 111 option 2 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

More information on all the services listed and many more can be found on the University’s Student Wellbeing pages.

You can also find details about the different support options available to you in our Circle of Support resource.



If you are experiencing physical health issues, the most obvious sources of support are your College nurse and GP. The Disability Resource Centre can also offer support if your condition is likely to last a long time. It’s also good to keep your Tutor up to date when you are or have been unwell. Your Tutor and the Student Advice Service can help you consider the impact of your illness on your time at Cambridge and what options may exist going forward. 

More information on the services listed as well as the NHS and Healthcare can be found on the University’s Student Wellbeing pages.



If you are experiencing general wellbeing concerns such as issues with alcohol or drugs, bereavement, unplanned pregnancy, crime, problems with sleep or smoking, you can find information on these particular issues and many more on the University’s Student Wellbeing pages.



Student Wellbeing pages are a resourceful place where you can access information and advice on a variety of topics including personal safety and travel. In addition, you can also access information on travelling and taxis, keeping yourself safe, travelling and health and safety, and much more.

You may also wish to access information on the Suzy Lamplugh Trust website. In the Personal Safety Out and About section you can read about what to consider before going out, when you travel on foot (such as trying to use well lit, busy streets and routes that you know), festival safety, when and how to use an alarm, etc. You can also access some helpful information in the Students and Personal Safety section, such as choosing where to live, going out at night or travelling by taxi. 



Cycling is often the fastest, cheapest, and safest way of getting around the city, but if you're not used to cycling in traffic there are some useful things you need to know. You will have already noticed that there are a lot of cyclists here, who play a key part in reducing congestion and help to give Cambridge a unique feel.

Camcyle, the Cambridge Cycling Campaign, has developed a ‘safe and considerate cycling in Cambridge’ guide - Welcome to Cycling in Cambridge. In this guide, you can find information on bike lights, road safety, road signs, sharing the space and caring for others, keeping your bike safe and maintenance, and a city centre cycling road map. 

You may also wish to access information on the University’s website where you can read about cycle training and tips to staying safe. Although the information on the website mentions that Outspoken training is free for University staff, their own website indicates that university staff and students may claim 1 x 2-hour one-to-one session. Please note that this information is correct at the time of writing: September 2021. We recommend you verify the information with Outspoken Training as the offer might change.

For money-saving tips you can visit where you can find information on getting a good deal on buying a second-hand bike, looking after your bike and staying safe, getting cheap bike insurance if you need it, etc.

The Government's own cycle safety website has some excellent cycling advice too.