As a student at Cambridge, you should expect to feel included in the Cambridge community and to be treated equally and fairly by fellow students and staff members alike. This should be the case regardless of your age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation. In addition to this, your background (for example your socio-economic background, culture or whether you are a care leaver or estranged student) should have no bearing on how welcomed and included you are made to feel in Cambridge.

There are some University and external services, information and resources that exist for specific groups of students. These include:



The Disability Resource Centre is the University of Cambridge's disability service, providing advice, information and support to all disabled students. The DRC supports individuals with any disability, medical matter or injury.



The International Student Office provides specialist information and support to students who come from outside the UK to study at Cambridge, and to Cambridge students who study overseas as part of their course.

You can access further information on financial support, health & welfare and immigration & visa from our section for International Students.



Students who would prefer to see a BME Counsellor at the University Counselling Service can request this on their pre-counselling form.



The Childcare Office assists with childcare questions and issues. This Service provides free newsletters to subscribing parents and detailed staff and student-parent guides. Student-parents may also wish to view a survey on Colleges’ facilities for families and students with children which was produced by the students’ union.



Support for Care Leavers and Estranged students - The University has a section of its website dedicated to care leavers and estranged students where students can find information about accommodation and financial support. Estranged students may also find useful information from Stand Alone which is an advice centre for students who have no contact with their family. 

You can access a list of other support services available on the UCAS website.

Carers or students with caring responsibilities can access information and advice from the Carers’ Trust, including financial support, arranging respite care, support groups, getting a break and caring for a specific condition. Student carers based in Cambridge may also wish to access support from Carer Together, which is a network of the Carers Trust based in Cambridgeshire. 


Some students may wish to meet other students who share similar experiences. There are seven Liberation Campaigns that exist within Cambridge SU. These campaigns bring together students from similar backgrounds:

If at any point you experience issues with inclusion or being treated equally or you’ve experienced any form of discrimination or harassment, you may wish to discuss this with someone. The Student Advice Service can listen, help you explore your options, and support you should you wish to raise your concerns. We can help you raise your concerns informally, or formally via the University’s reporting options. Your Tutor should also be able to support you on such matters. Students who have experienced sexual harassment or assault may also wish to access support from the University’s Sexual Assault and Harassment Advisor.

If these issues are troubling or confusing you or are impacting on your mental health, you can also access support from your College nurse, the University Counselling Service, the Disability Resource Centre and of course your GP. More information and resources regarding these matters can be found on the University’s Student Wellbeing pages.