Information on studying double time

Double Time

‘Double Time’ is the University’s procedure for students to complete their course over a longer period of time e.g. doing a three year course over the period of six years, as a reasonable adjustment for reasons of disability, chronic illness or other compelling personal reasons such as caring responsibilities.


Who is this for?

The guide details the process of applying for Extension to Period of Study through EAMC. This is for all undergraduates and many masters students – check the EAMC webpage if you’re not sure if this applies to you.

If you do not fall under EAMC, for example PhD students, you should instead follow the graduate guidance for extending your submission date for reasons of disability. This involves applying for extra funding from your funding body so that you can study at a reduced rate while still receiving full time funding.


Getting support or advice

If you need peer support or advice, you might want to join our private Facebook group for those interested in Double Time.

You can also contact our committee.

For help with your application please contact the Student Advice Service.

If anything is unclear, our full time Disabled Students’ Officer is happy to talk things through – you can email them at


Update on grade release (June 2021)

After 3 years of student lobbying, EAMC has now conceded that Double Time students should receive their grades the year they sit the exam, and should not be made to wait until they finish the full tripos part. Please contact your tutorial office, who can check with Student Registry, if you are not sure how this will apply to you.


Other options

Take a look at our Intermission Guide as well!